christinareadsya

Christina Reads YA

"A children's story which is enjoyed only by children is a bad children's story. The good ones last." --C.S. Lewis

Daughter of Smoke and Bone

Daughter of Smoke and Bone - Since I'm late to the crowd reviewing DoSaB, here's a shortened review aka 5 reasons to read this book:1. In one of her posts with writing advice, Maggie Stiefvater said to use one of your favorite books as a textbook of sorts. I'd choose Daughter of Smoke and Bone because the writing is so.... indescribably beautiful. (And though I'd study DSB, I don't think I could ever attain the level of awesomeness that is Laini Taylor's writing).2. HOLY SHIT Laini Taylor! What is going on in your brain? (And I mean that in the nicest way possible). This book has one of the most imaginative worlds I've read in years... and one of the most well-established ones too. Mad props, Ms. Taylor.3. Daughter of Smoke and Bone also has a very intense romance, one which actually reminds me of paranormal romances...but one which is 1,000 times better than those. Karou/Akiva have history... and Taylor shows us that all's not fair in love and war... And that complete opposites can attract... but more of in a collision type of way. You may think it's "love at first sight" type, but it's more. So much more.4. Every character is interesting. No, really. Laini Taylor's brilliance shows in her characterizations. I loved Zuzanna and the dialogue between her and Karou. So weird, but so funny. And I loved what Karou does to her ex. Girl power FTW. Karou's also definitely flawed but definitely a girl to whom you can relate. Pretty much loved all the character descriptions and dialogue.5. Lastly, DSB is a book that does alternate perspectives well. Not only does they build suspense, but the switches also reveal a slice of the world you hadn't seen. I loved the parts that took a step back and showed us what the regular world would make of Karou... loved the teasers of Akiva's past... loved ALL OF THIS BOOK.You can find more of my reviews (plus discussions and giveaways) at Christina Reads YA.