christinareadsya

Christina Reads YA

"A children's story which is enjoyed only by children is a bad children's story. The good ones last." --C.S. Lewis

Christina Makes the Bookish Rounds (77)

Christina Makes the Bookish Rounds is a feature that will let you know about recent MG/YA/NA book related news. I'll post about articles from the publishing industry, cover reveals, discussions from fellow bloggers, the latest tv/movie news, and giveaways that you're hosting. If you would like to follow along with cover reveals during the week, see my Pinterest.

Publishing:

Rights Report:

• Stealing Snow - Danielle Paige (in which 17-year-old Snow escapes a mental institution in upstate New York and ends up lost in Algid, a Winterland of ice, reimagining Hans Christian Andersen's "The Snow Queen." Publication of the first volume is slated for fall 2016; Bloomsbury).
  • The Elementia Chronicles trilogy - Sean Fay Wolfe (debut… an unofficial Minecraft-fan adventure series... The first volume is scheduled for publication in July 2015, the second for October 2015, with the third to follow in January 2016. HarperCollins).
  • The Ministry of S.U.I.T.S - Paul Gamble (debut. After joining the Ministry of Strange, Unusual and Impossible Things, 12-year-olds Jack Pearce and Trudy Emerson discover that the world is not only stranger than they thought, but it also contains a lot more dinosaurs and pirates. Publication is set for April 2016; Feiwel and Friends).
  • The Freedom Dress - Suzanne Nelson (the story of a debutante in 1950s New Orleans whose life changes when her race is unexpectedly called into question, prompting her to uncover long-buried family secrets. Publication is slated for fall 2017; Knopf).
  • The Factory Girl - Josanne La Valley (in which Roshen, a Muslim, is forced from her homeland in northwest China to work in a remote factory where she endures harsh conditions and abuse, and resolves to use her budding gift as a poet to expose these wrongs. It's scheduled for fall 2016; Clarion Books).

Publisher’s Lunch:

• Roshani Chokshi's THE BRIDE OF DUSK AND GLASS, pitched as a Hades and Persephone style romance infused with Indian mythology, about an unlikely princess who must overcome her sinister horoscope and embark on a quest to unravel her true identity and find the one she loves, to St. Martin's.

From Last week:

• The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora - Pablo Cartaya (MG novel tells the story of a seventh-grader trying to save his late abuela's restaurant and win the affection of the beautiful Carmen using arroz con pollo and a little Jose Martí poetry. Epic Fail is slated for spring 2017; Viking).
  • Marcus Vega Doesn't Speak Spanish - Pablo Cartaya (MG novel follows a school bully and his special needs brother as they head to Puerto Rico over spring break to find their estranged father. Marcus Vega... to follow in spring 2018; Viking).
  • A sequel to the middle-grade adventure Loot - Judy Blundell under the name Jude Watson (It's a heist novel about a group of the world's youngest criminal masterminds. Loot was recently optioned by Will Smith's production company and is in development as a feature film. Publication of the untitled sequel is scheduled for spring 2016; Scholastic).
  • Beast - Brie Spangler (a modern YA retelling of “Beauty and the Beast” in which the tallest, hairiest boy in town meets and falls for his dream girl, who also happens to be transgender. The book is slated for fall 2016; Knopf).
  • Weaving a Net is Better Than Praying for Fish - Ki-Wing Merlin (about a first-generation Chinese-American girl navigating school and classmates while concealing secrets from friends and family, who must learn to rely on others to catch the thief when her father's store is robbed. Publication is scheduled for fall 2016; Balzer + Bray).
  • The Boy Who Knew Too Much - Romily Bernard, to be written under a pseudonym (The middle-grade story follows a boy who steals a train and is sent to reform school, only to discover that a machine in the basement is cloning students to become model citizens. Publication is slated for winter 2017; Disney-Hyperion).
  • The Evil Wizard Smallbone - Delia Sherman (a middle-grade novel about a boy who, escaping his abusive uncle, becomes the unwilling apprentice of an evil wizard in the wilds of the Maine coast. It's slated for publication in fall 2016; Candlewick).
  • Standard Operating Procedures - Erin Teagan (Debut MG in which genius-scientist-in-the-making Madeline Little starts middle school and soon learns science doesn't have all the answers – and that it's now up to her to discover the cure for her newly messed-up life. Publication is scheduled for fall 2016; HMH).
  • The Dam Keeper - Robert Kondo (l.) and Dice Tsutsumi, who created the short (two graphic novels for young readers based on the Oscar-nominated animated short + 3rd novel. The books will pick up after the close of the film and reveal the secrets behind the dark cloud that threatens Pig and Fox's town. Publication is scheduled for 2016; First Second Books).
  • Blood, Bullets and Bones: The Story of Forensic Science from Sherlock Holmes to DNA - Bridget Heos (Aimed at those who are obsessed with shows like CSI and Dexter, the book offers a history of the modern science of forensics. It's scheduled for winter 2016; Balzer + Bray).
  • Such Courage: Polio and the Making of Franklin Roosevelt - James Tobin (a middle-grade biography focusing on FDR's triumph over polio. Publication is slated for fall 2016; Henry Holt's Christy Ottaviano Books).
  • Baskerville Academy - Ridley Pearson (The MG trilogy chronicles young James Moriarty's descent into evil and the origins of his rivalry with his roommate, Sherlock Holmes. The first title is scheduled for publication in September 2016; HarperCollins).

Excerpts: The Wicked Will Rise - Danielle Paige, Don’t Stay Up Late - R.L. Stine, Twist - Karen Akins, Joyride - Anna Banks,Stealing Snow - Danielle Paige, An Ember in the Ashes - Sabaa Tahir, Penguin’s YA Thrillers, City of Fae - Pippa DaCosta

Awards: The Inky Awards longlist.

Don’t forget to vote for the teen book of the year from CCBC! Lasts until May 3rd.

A summer teen reading list from the NYPL.

Authors: Arrows - Melissa Gorzelanczyk, The Wrong Side of Right - Jennifer Thorne, Dead to Me - Mary McCoy, Nova Ren Suma, David Levithan, Lauren Oliver, Renee Ahdieh & Sabaa Tahir on skype with each other

Book Trailers: The Wicked Will Rise - Danielle Paige

Courtney Summers is hosting a Thunderclap campaign called #ToTheGirls on 04/14. Tell girls that they are seen, heard, and loved.

Danielle Paige sold another retelling novel, this time of Snow White. (See above).

If you’ve been waiting on Lair of Dreams, the second Diviners book, by Libba Bray, turns out that it will be releasing in August.

A summary of author and industry events.

If you’ve ever been curious about the inner workings of the industry, this seems like a really interesting article from an agent, on how the falling euro affects publishing deals and the upcoming Bologna Children’s Book Fair.

Oh, look, a sneak peak at Jeff Kinney’s bookstore.

Remember all the pub on Margaret Stohl and #MarvelYA? It’s got a title: Black Widow: Foever Red.

Diversity in the industry. “Lighten Up”: characters in comics. The difficulties that black authors face led this writer to self publish.

And from Sarah McGarry, on last week’s Andrew Smith debacle.

Drop everything and read day is April 12th.

Half a million books will be given to children at clinics by Scholastic.

J.K. Rowling once again proves why she is amazing.

Cover Reveals:

Afterlight - Rebecca Lim
Beautiful Girl - Fleur Philips

Discussion/Other Blogger Posts:

Recommendations / lists section! Want to read more YA books with crime families, magical realism YA books, anthologies, or YA historical novels set in the 20th century? Or regular YA novels with protagonists who happen to be Muslim? Or 10 “best” coming-of-age novels you’ve never read? Or, if you’re a part of March Madness, these books with basketball. Or 14 epic sagas to get lost in or 50 great books about 50 inspiring women (women's history month!), or 18 excellent SFF short stories, or 50 books to read before you die.

What’s the deal with our obsession with YA sorting rituals? An essay on Divergent and Harry Potter.

Text to Text | ‘Speak’ and ‘Waking Up to the Enduring Memory of Rape’

Tommy Wallach talks about the process of writing We All Looked Up and wonders what is YA.

Marieke Nijkamp talks about the politics of language while Melissa Grey talks about how Cinderella is not antifeminist. I haven’t seen the latest Cinderella movie, but I appreciate Grey’s PoV. I don’t think that I’ve ever considered Cinderella as a survivor -- or rather any fairy tale, for their darker elements. #thinkingtime

Reading translated kids books makes a difference.

Wow. 20 bands that are named after classical literature. I don't know why it surprises me - I'm not surprised when other art inspires me - but articles about books inspiring people are just amazing.

Do you ever thinking about how technology is shaping our sentence structure?

Now I want to go shop at a Barnes & Noble store just to get one of their newly redesigned bags.

And hey, apparently some authors get put into video games?!

If you're Dr. Seuss, you'll get honored with a museum in your name.

Bravo to the Salt Lake City library and its around the clock service efforts.

Bravo to hospitals that are also encouraging kids to read.

Check out these unusual library collections.

You should reread your favorite children’s classics now that you’re an adult. And then write about what you’ve learned from that.

Epic Reads and their infographics. This week, we have an infographic with all the actors and actresses from teen movies - how they overlap!

:( what do you know? Another YA hater article (“it’s mostly a lost in translation situation, a language from Young Adult island us foreigners can’t seem to understand. But hey, rock on with your love for books and new worlds to discover. I sincerely applaud that.” … really? because telling people to stop showing their appreciation for a book/movie isn’t saying ‘rock on’ at all):. 18 Things YA fans need to stop saying.

From the UK: 8 best YA novels (and why grown-ups should read them). Doesn’t surprise me that only 2 are female authors. They really need to stop making lists like these, ‘best of ‘an entire audience!’” No one says “best 8 adult books to read,” right? And even if they did, thanks for the diversity.

Are you anticipating these books pubbing in April?

How many of these children’s classics have you read? Oh, Buzzfeed, you never run out of quizzes.

8 diverse fairy tales that need retellings. This is really cool. I love that last week (?) I got to learn about fairy tales from Barnes & Noble and now diverse fairy tales too. Yes, more please!

According to Kirkus, these are the teen titles that adults should not miss.

I discussed blogging milestones that I’ve missed over my four years here.

Meanwhile Latifah Salom discussed her inspiration for The Cake House, a retelling of Hamlet in Los Angeles. The book is currently being given away here on the blog too!

Blogging:
Tips/Advice/Support:
** Rita at Blog Genie: 10 Minutes to Your Ideal Reader
** Alexa at Alexa Loves Books: Bard on the Blogs
** Amber at The Mile Long Bookshelf: 4 Tips for Blogging Safely

Blogging & Bloggers:
** Shannon at It Starts At Midnight: Results Part Four: Feel the Love
** Chyna at Lite-Rate-Ture: Reading or Blogging Slumps? No worries.
** Aimee at Deadly Darlings: Why I Comment and Comment Back
** Aimee at Deadly Darlings: Help Me Build My Blogger Database
** Alicia at a Kernel of Nonsense: How Blogging Has Influenced My Reading
** Bec at Readers in Wonderland: How Do You Words?
** Lili at Lili’s Reflections: Stop the Goodreads Creepers
** Kailia at Reading the Best of the Best: Doing My Own Thing Is Hard
** Cassie at The Casserole: Why Blog Design Is Super Important
** Emz at Paging Serenity: Does Social Media Affect Your Blogging?
** Ashley at Nose Graze: Let Me Help You With Your Blog

** Mel at The Daily Prophecy: Personal vs. Professional Reviews

Reading:
The Experience:
** Amy at Ten Penny Dreams: 10 Ways to Share Your Love of Reading
** Julie at Chapter Break: Should Books Have Closure?
** Rebecca at The Library Canary: Going in Blind
** Anya at On Starships & Dragonwings: A Reading Old Books Strategy: Turn the Wifi Off
** Nuzaifa at Say It With Books: Taking the Guilt out of Guilty Pleasure Reads
** Christy & Erika at Novel Ink: What Do You Consider Spoilers?
** Ana at Read Me Away: Order Not Required

** Guest Post at Stacked Books: Appropriate Literature
** Guest Post at Stacked Books: Why Friendship Books Are Essential
** Guest Post at Stacked Books: Strong Heroines
** Bekka at Great Imaginations: The Boys of YA: Genre Fiction
** Chiara at Books for a Delicate Eternity: What’s My Age Again?

Movies:
** Ceilidhann at Bibliodaze: In Defence of Cinderella
** Kelley at Oh, The Books!: In Which I Rant about the Insurgent Movie

Movies/TV Shows:

And (!!!) My Heart and Other Black Holes has been optioned by Paramount. - I wrote this last week, but as an edit to my original post, so perhaps you didn’t see it.

The final teaser poster for Mockingjay: Part 2 was released.

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer has snapped up the rights to Michaela DePrince and Elaine DePrince’s Random House Children’s memoir Taking Flight: From War Orphan to Star Ballerina.

Some Insurgent photos: on choices, the movie’s success ($54 million opening weekend and 101 million worldwide despite some people *sigh* writing about whether it will attract ‘male’ viewers), conflict. Wonder what it’s list to be cast as an extra inInsurgent?

A pic of the cast of The 5th Wave.

Curious about Paper Towns? Here’s a report on the event in NYC with John Green and Halston Sage.

Giveaways:

Adventures in Children's Publishing giveaways: 03/30, 04/06, 04/13

Giveaways listed at Saturday Situation by Lori of Pure Imagination and Candace of Candace's Book Blog.

Don't forget to enter YABC's giveaways for the month.

Sci-fi and Fantasy Friday {SF/F Reviews and Giveaways}.

The Cake House by Latifah Salom, ends 03/31.

4 Year Blogoversary giveaway, INT & US, ends 04/15.

If you have a giveaway, you should let me know. NGL, this is the least important section to me.

Other:

New Releases: The Walls Around Us by Nova Ren SumaHalf Wild (Half Bad #2) by Sally GreenLiars Inc by Paula StokesIn the Time of Dragon Moon (Wilde Island Chronicles #3) by Janet Lee CareyWritten in the Stars by Aisha SaeedCatalyst (Control #2) by Lydia KangThe Haunting of Sunshine Girl by Paige McKenzie and Alyssa SheinmelThe Tightrope Walkers by David AlmondMe Being me Is Exactly as Insane as You Being You by Todd Hasak LowyDoor in the Moon (Chronoptika #3) by Catherine FisherBoys Don't Knit by T. S. EastonFinding Mr. Brightside by Jay ClarkThings I'll Never Say: Stories About Our Secret Selves edited by Ann AngelGuardians (Wasteland #3) by Susan Kim and Laurence Klaven

Recent Recommended Reads: You can read my review of Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli. I also read and loved Chime.

Which articles did you like best? Did I miss any news? Did you host a cover reveal or discussion that I should have posted about? A giveaway? Leave the links, and I'll either edit this post or post about 'em next week.